Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600
Wellington, New Zealand
Andrew’s research interests fall into three main fields:
- How structures of buildings can enrich their architecture
- Earthquake engineering and architecture
- Earthquake damage mitigation in developing countries
- Charleson, A. W., Structure as Architecture: a Sourcebook for Architects and Engineers, Architectural Press, Oxford, 2005, 226 pp. (As at 10-2012 this book has been translated and published in Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Persian and Portuguese.)
- Charleson, A. W. (ed.) Architectural design for earthquake: a guide to the design of non-structural elements. New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, 2007, 94 pp.
- Charleson, A. W., Seismic design for architects: outwitting the quake, Architectural Press, Oxford, Sept. 2008, 280 pp.
- Charleson, A. W. 2010. Earthquake reinforcement for earthen houses with straps cut from used tyres. World Housing Encyclopedia, 50 pp.
- Charleson, A. W and Blondet, M. 2012. Seismic reinforcement for adobe houses using straps cut from used car tires. Earthquake Spectra, 28:2, pp. 511 – 531.
- Charleson, A. W. and Allaf, N. 2012. Costs of base-isolation and earthquake insurance in New Zealand. Proceedings of the conference of the NZ Society for Earthquake Engineering, April, Paper no. 04, 8 pp.
- Greene, M. and Charleson, A. W., 2012. The World Housing Encyclopedia: a global resource on construction technologies.Proceedings of the15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, 24-28 Sept. Paper 3310.
Sutjiadi, H Y., Charleson, A W., & Baird, G. (2010). The Structural Design of a Double-Layer Space Structure for a 100-Storey Building. High Rise Towers and Tall Buildings 2010 – Design and Construction of Safe and Sustainable High Rise Structures. Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Konrad Zilch. (pp. 78-79). Munich, Germany.
- Charleson, A W. (2009). Comparison between Contemporary Architectural Form in Cities with High Versus Low Seismicity. Earthquake Spectra. Vol. 25, No. 1. (pp. 1-15).
- Charleson, A W., & Pirie, S. (2009). An investigation of structural engineer-architect collaboration. Journal of the Structural Engineering Society New Zealand. Vol. 22, No.1. (pp. 97-104).
- Charleson, A W. (2009, March). Research on used car tyre strap reinforced adobe construction in Peru. Proceedings of the conference of the NZ Society for Earthquake Engineering. (pp. 10).